72nd Independence Day of India - 15 August 2018
On the occasion of 72nd Independence Day of India, Consul General, Sandeep Chakravorty hoisted the National Flag at the Consulate premises in the morning of 15 August. It was followed by the playing of the National Anthem. Consul General read out President’s Address to the Nation delivered on the eve of the Independence Day.
2. More than 200 people including prominent members of the Indian community and local dignitaries including Congresswoman Grace Meng, Assemblyman David Weprin, Assemblyman Raj Mukherjee, Senator Vin Gopal and also Bollywood actor Anupam Kher attended the ceremony.
3. A short cultural program was held by Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan, which included singing of patriotic songs and poetry recitation.
4. At the initiative of local Indian community organizations, iconic monuments in New York and surrounding areas were lit up on the occasion with the colors of the Indian flag. These included the Empire State Building, Niagara Falls among others.
5. This year, on the occasion of India's Independence Day, Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) sponsored a seven member group consisting of acclaimed Kathak dancers - Sandip Mallick & group with Anuj Mishra and group to present Kathak! A short glimpse of their performances were shown during the morning ceremony.
6. The team in collaboration with this Consulate & Battery Dance Company will be performing at Robert F. Wagner Park this evening; Saraswathi Hall, The Hindu Temple Society of North America on August 16 and finally at Navatman's Drive East Festival on August 17 before heading to Dallas for other scheduled performances.
7. PTC Broadcasting did a live telecast of today's event; link: https://www.facebook.com/USAPTCPunjabi/videos/244289326412218/
15 August 2018 New York