New York City and New Year's Eve have lot more in common than just sounding similar by being called NYC and NYE! NYC is synonymous with NYE celebrations, the best known and most popular event being the New Year's BALL DROP at TIMES SQUARE. But if you do not have the patience to stay out like that for hours and hours, in this freezing East Coast cold, there are few other FREE things that you could do to celebrate New Year's Eve in New York City.
- NYRR Midnight Run & Fireworks in Central Park: It's not FREE to participate in the run, but it is free to watch and party in Central Park. The party starts at 10 pm, with a LIVE DJ. And you enjoy the amazing fireworks too. You can also go and do some ice skating at Wollman Rink.
- Staten Island Ferry Ride: It's a fun ride (for FREE!) to take any time of the year, but on New Year's Eve, you can enjoy the fireworks in Manhattan (also Brooklyn and Jersey City) while admiring the NYC skyline. You can also buy drinks and snacks, from the bar on the boat. Plus they have a toilet (unlike Times Square Ball Drop). Just make sure to get your winter coat, and stay warm!
- NYE Fireworks in Prospect Park: Enjoy amazing fireworks with the background of beautiful NYC skyline at Prospect Park in Brooklyn. Just make sure to RSVP.
- NYE Celebration and Fireworks at Coney Island: Coming into its fourth year, guests can dance to live music throughout the night and watch some of Coney Island's most notable side show performances. Enjoy a fireworks display at the stroke of midnight at this free family-friendly celebration. Free live entertainment begins at 9:00 p.m. at the Steeplechase Plaza. Free admission starts at 6:00 p.m. on the B&B Carousel. And a lot more. Enjoy!
- Hang around Times Square (SECRET TIP!): You may not be the "IN" crowd, being inside, but you can walk close to the celebrations, like around 40th Street, or 50th Street, on Broadway or 7th Av. You can go to a bar or pub, or just hang outside around midnight. You can hear the noise, you can somehow hear the music, and still be part of the fun from outside. Better than standing in the crowd, in cold, for hours and hours. And you an walk to the center after midnight, and get some pictures (and even claim that you were there!).
- Just go to a bar/pub/restaurant: That's an easy one, you are in NYC! Go to a bar, pub, restaurant or anything. Most places have some special or something going on for the NYE. Specially bars and pubs. Just step out of house and walk in to any of the places. You'll have a good time. It's NYC!
- Or just STAY HOME, and watch TV: Honestly, in this freezing cold, it's never a bad idea. That's what I'm going to do. Watch the BALL DROP on TV, or any of the Holiday or New Year's special movies, or Netflix/Amazon/Hulu. There's so much going on, that you can have an amazing time, just at home. And there's social media (Facebook/Twitter/Instagram etc etc) to connect with your friends and family, as you celebrate and welcome the New Year's.
HAVE A WONDERFUL NEW YEAR'S EVE AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR 2018!